In case you guys haven't heard about it yet, there's this cool biology podcast series that's happening at http://breakingbio.com
Here are some useful PhD tips I've gleaned off the first few episodes:
1. Be prepared to explain your work to other people. Prepare your elevator speech.
2. Some people have parental support and inspiration. It's tougher for those who don't.
3. It's tough to find jobs after a Phd. You need to relate your degree to stuff that's relevant.
4. you need to find a balance between your work and social media.
5. Online journals can be better than real life meetings and clubs.
6. sometimes, Masters degrees are essential stepping stones to a PhD. It might not be a good idea to phase them out.
7. Don't do a PhD unless you really like the science and have funding.