Friday 10 April 2009

Movies seen recently: Babel, Amores Perros

Saw a couple of movies directed by Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu and written by Guillermo Arriaga recently:


Both movies are similarly structured, with different stories and characters weaving along in a parallel manner, occasionally criss-crossing each other, with one overriding theme connecting them always. While the main theme behind Amores Perros is love, in Babel it's communication.


While the movies and their themes look good on paper, most of what I took away from the experience was the shock value brought about by their graphic content. Is the graphic content supposed to dull or enhance the movies' messages? I'm guessing enhancement, an attempt at reinforcing the movie's message.

On the other hand, lets just say I wanted to use graphic content to grab eyeballs. If I was a director, I'd want to get people's attention and enhance my movie's entertainment value, though not at the cost of the movie's quality itself, so graphic content in this movie might be just an exercise in restraint on the movie maker's part as well.

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment